Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Yeah, so wow...It's been, awhile hasn't it?

What can I say? Life is busy....work is busier than life. It makes my head spin. But, I've found some new blogs to follow and I really just need to stop being lazy! I can post from my cell phone so really, no excuse.

A brief rundown.... Bubby started the 5th grade. It's in a different building that the elementary grades so we were afraid it would be a hard transition for him. Apparently not. At the back to school night 2 weeks ago, we were amazed at the things his teachers were telling us. You may (or may not) remember me talking about how at recess time Bubby would walk around the playground, picking up rocks or junk or trash, all by himself because he didn't know how to approach the other kids to ask to play. This year, 2 weeks into it, and he's got 2-3 boys that he plays with at recess (!!!) and sits with at lunch (!!!!) and in general, calls "his buds". Be still my heart. I never, ever, thought I'd hear this about him. Don't misunderstand me, he's still my Aspie (and always will be, there's no "cure" for AS) but, in some situations, he apparently can feel comfortable enough to initiate contact with a couple of his peers. And though we can't prove it, we believe that the equine therapy he's been doing over the summer has played a large part in that. He's been doing a program called H.O.R.S.E. (Helping Others Reach Success and Excellence), you can visit them at www.horsehelpspeople.org and we've seen some changes in him, good ones. If you'd asked me at the beginning of summer if I thought this therapy would help, I probably would have been iffy with my response. But, he went from never having been around anything larger than a Rottweiler, to actually *RIDING* the horse just last week. Color me surprised. And ecstatic!

On to Lil Man....ahhh....Lil Man. He's 3 and a half now, with an attitude of a hormonal teenager. One minute he's giving us kisses and in the next breath screaming at us for something. Or from sitting quietly next to the dog, and the next smacking them...he's gotten himself snapped at recently for doing just that. He's talking up a storm....though you can only understand about half of it. Speech therapy will be starting in the next few weeks (thru the school district's early childhood center)...he's excited about going to "school". I'm beginning to see early signs of ....well, *something*....and probably something on the spectrum, I just don't know what....it'll show itself eventually and we'll deal with it then I suppose.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a paper (an essay? a letter??) on Aspergers. It was mainly in response to a poor review of the movie, "Adam". Hugh Dancy is the titular character, a 20-something man with Aspergers who falls for his new neighbor (played by Rose Byrne). The movie had, up to that point when I read this one review, gotten nothing but glowing reviews and praise ....not only from NT's but from the ASD community-and at times, that can be hard to get. I'm going to share my "paper" with you in a new post shortly.

Hey, looky there....you get 2 posts in one d....wha? What do you mean that doesn't make up for all the unposted months?? Hmmph....fine. I'll post it anyways ;-)

4 comments:

Laura Stillman said...

Heeeeyyyy....(me waving!}

Gracie said...

LMAO! Good to see ya ;-)

Mariposa Farm Alpacas said...

Horses rock!

Corrie Howe said...

I agree there is no cure for AS, but I believe that interventions do help our children. It is the reason I'm always in the school and various therapies advocating for my son. He's come a long way since his first diagnosis.